01 January 2008

And so begins 2008

Axel and I toasted the new year last night with a bottle of wine that we bought when we were in Cinque Terre in Summer 2006. When we bought this bottle we didn't know what would qualify as a special enough occasion to open it, but we knew that it would be significant. There were a few times this past year, as we held on tight while the wheel of life took us to highs and lows at a fierce pace, that I considered opening it for both celebration and consolation or even desperation a time or two. I was afraid that I would waste it on the wrong thing, however,so in the cupboard it remained. Waiting.

Until last night. Other than the date on the calendar and a nostalgic wind blowing through the trees, it was no different than many nights in our house these days. Dylan and Kiah were both out with friends. Movie night for one, impromptu party for another. Anja snuggled up with us as we watched a few shows from the past week of BBC television on the BBC iPlayer. Axel made a joke about not having champagne for our big celebration (as he changed into his woolen pajamas) but thought that perhaps I would like a glass of wine nonetheless. It was then that I knew without a doubt, that it was THE moment we had been waiting for. A quiet night at home resting and relaxing.

I realized that it was not for lack of significant moments in which to pop the cork that we held off. Instead it was for the moment when 2007 was coming to an end when we could raise our glasses to all the celebration, consolation, and desperation that came and went in the year and bid gratitude for the lessons and growth they brought. And to breathe with relief and amazement that we have seen another year pass and live to tell about it. It was a hard year. Some pretty big stuff happened in our lives this past year. Same as every year I suppose, but to me it seemed a bit more heavily weighted in the number of times I found myself repeating "This too shall pass. This too shall pass. " Thankfully, it passed.

And so begins 2008. Another typical day in our house. Anja is bouncing off the walls and onto daddy's back. Poor Axel can't get 5 minutes rest from her adoring pleas to 'do something with daddy'(which is arguably her favorite thing to do in all the world). Dylan is at work until later this evening and Kiah is home taking it easy after staying up until 6:00am at her movie night. She claims not to be at all tired, but I don't think she can claim to be energetic. I am at my laptop reading posts like this one by my friends and others in their blogs, watching the trees sway and I feel a cold air creep in with that same nostalgic wind that was blowing last night. I wonder if it will snow.

No comments: