16 March 2009

Fancy Pants Stick

I am so excited to have just ordered a new cane! I like my stand by wooden crook neck can just fine, but it aside from lacking in flair, it is also not very portable. If I want to have it with me when I am out in my scooter or my wheelchair it is a real pain in the behind to have to deal with. I need to have it often when out because many shops in older building don't have access for wheelchairs or if on my scooter it is too big to bring in. Axel and I are going for a weekend getaway to Amsterdam this weekend and I am sure I will need it to go into many places that simply cannot be altered to accommodate access. It is an irritating, but understandable concern, though it does leave me feeling a bit miffed knowing that my friends who are not so lucky as to have the option to get out of their chair can't get into such places.

In my search for a portable/foldable cane I found that they all seemed to scream OLD LADY. Well, I may look like an old lady and may even act like one at times, but I am not one. Not yet. I was thrilled to find SwitchSticks whilst googling "funky cane". Today I ordered this little beauty

Photobucket

How cool is that? Definitely not your grandma's cane! It should arrive in a couple days, just in time for our trip. We leave on Friday evening. I will try and get another post or two in before we leave!

No comments: