13 March 2009

The Birds Are Back!

Since Anja was a wee baby, one of my most treasured parts of the day is that part of the morning when the birds are out and chirping wildly. Having been out on their hunt for food when the sun rose, they are ready to get busy with the days nest building chores. Busy noisy birds flit around the garden. It used to be the time of day when I was trying my best to keep Anja in bed for a few more precious minutes. We would hide under the covers and be really quiet so that we could hear the birdies. The key part being quiet, for too soon it would be time for us to get on with our busy day. Now that Anja is in school by this time it is just me listening.

Each spring I wait for the return of the birds. It seems that in years past it has come sooner than this year, but that might be my impatience for a change in the weather making it appear that way. The past couple weeks I have been listening with a hopeful ear to see if they were back. Each morning I listened, but sadly heard nothing. This morning however, I was delighted by a full chorus of little peeps and chirps! Spring is on it's way! The smile on my face and the peace in my heart at that moment is a feeling I want to remember.

Yesterday I awoke to the news that I had become an Aunt again as my brother and sister in law welcomed their baby girl to the world. And then today the birds are back. New life, new beginnings, and love all around. I love the spring!

No comments: