10 August 2010

Update from Madrid

Hello Everyone! I have reached the point on our trip where I am confused about what day it is. The computer tells me it is Tuesday, which means that our last full day in France was Sunday. We opted to stay an extra day in St. Emilion so that we could go on a hike in the vineyards and taste some wines of the region along the way. I took a leap of faith and decided that I would walk the entire distance of 4km. It is not possible for me to convey adequately in words how incredibly empowering and liberating it felt to do so! Each step was a step towards what I hope to be a continuing progress towards regaining my life and not being so restricted by my illness. Being able to enjoy the things I took for granted before I became so sick is a pleasure like none I have every had. So far there has been minimal repercussion in terms of post exertion pain which is so very encouraging. My eyes are filling with tears of joy as I write this. Pure and ecstatic joy!

We arrived safely in Madrid yesterday evening after a looooong day's drive. I will say that as beautiful the south of France is, once you pass over the Pyrenees and the Basque region, the route we chose through Northern Spain is quite boring. Miles and miles (or should I say kilometers and kilometers?) of nothing. In a car packed to the gills with no air conditioning in the heat and humidity it is a test patience, which I must say we all passed with flying colors.

After 9 long hours (and another episode of Beatrice on crack in central Madrid) we arrived at our destination. We are staying with a friend of Axel's from school in Venezuela at a very nice flat in a beautiful wooded area of Madrid. Were it not for the Four Towers rising in the skyline we would not suspect that we were in the city. It is such a treat and much appreciated to be able to stay here.

I am still behind on sorting and uploading pictures, so my apologies for another picture-less post. When I do get around to it there will be more than enough to make up for it, I promise!

Our plans for today are fairly loose. A trip to the store for some food and maybe do some sight seeing around Madrid. We are all feeling a bit road weary so we may do nothing other than lounge around the flat and go for a dip in the pool. The heat here is a more foreboding heat than it was in the South of France where it was not as humid and cooled off nicely at night. I'm not complaining, mind you! Just an observation. It is a welcome change to be looking for ways to cool down as opposed to warm up.

Until later - all our best!

No comments: