31 May 2008

Who Am I Blogging For?

Much of the time I don't know exactly what to post about. I know I want to post, but I am not sure what, if anything, I have to say will be interesting to anyone. Or perhaps it might be too interesting and better kept off the web, if you know what I mean. It brings to mind the question that I am sure that many bloggers have which is "Who am I blogging for?"

Me? I blog for a few different reasons and for several different people. In this blog my primary focus is to keep my family and friends updated on our lives so far away.(I also blog at Divinely Crafty for entirely different purposes.) We started this blog as a group effort of the whole family back in 2005 when we were preparing for our big move. It quickly ended up being just me who ever posted so at some point I assumed sole authorship of the blog. That was fine with me. I love having total editorial control, and as official blabber mouth of my family I am well suited to the role. My primary problem being what I opened this post with: I often find myself not knowing which, if any, of the moments of our days are worthy of documenting and asking others to take time out of their own days to read.

There isn't much variation to the routine of our days. Wake up, get dressed, eat breakfast, go off to our various schools and jobs. Or in my case - wake up,take my medicines, go back to bed,wake up again when brought a cup of tea, and when everyone else has gone off to do their thing, I prop myself up in my bed with my laptop, my knitting,a good book, a jug of water,and dream of what I might do if I only I could. Its not very exciting really, and there is only so many times I can write about the birds I watch from my bedroom window or fuss about the weather. When the time of day arrives that the rest of the family begins to return home, it's time for playing with friends, working on school work, and the daily ritual of asking me what's for dinner. A question that hits me hard on days that I am at my worst as it highlights just how limited I am in what I can do. Once everyone is fed either by something I have mustered up the energy to make or what Axel throws together when he comes home from work, it's time for winding down, taking baths, reading stories, and going to bed. The sun comes up the next day and it all begins again.

Not much to write about. Or is there? Maybe the little things - the details- that give life to our routines would be of interest. Things that if we were living close to our loved ones we might chat about on the phone or over a cup of tea. Things like how much Anja loves to run around in the back garden with her friends, how Kiah has been studying intently for her GCSE exams and has found herself a sweet boy called Dougie who she managed to talk out of wearing a purple shirt to prom. How Axel works from sun up to sun down and takes on so many of the things I am not able to do. How Dylan is working her way through her own challenges and finding her way into young adulthood. How I read something or saw something in my travels through the internets that got me thinking or inspired me.

Perhaps I will try that approach to this blog. Instead of feeling compelled to always have at least one interesting picture to share or grand story to tell, simply sitting down with a cup of tea and "chatting" about the little things and when there is a picture or big news to share I'll do that too. Recognizing that the details of our days may seem small and unimportant, but that in truth they shape us, and are shaped by who we are. They're not so small and unimportant after all.

No comments: